Billing Address Change

Your service address does not have to be the same as your billing address. If you would like your bill and other Suddenlink-related mail sent to a different address, such as a P.O. box, you can provide one to us.

What to do

The account holder can:

  1. Chat with a Customer Care representative
  2. Call us
  3. Visit a local Suddenlink stores (Photo ID required)
  4. Download the Billing Address Change Form

Complete the form and fax or mail it to:

Altice USA
Attn: Shared Services
200 Jericho Quadrangle
Jericho, NY 11753

Fax: 516-803-1682